Aloha Jason! Thank you very much for your order. This private page is where I will post updates and photos of the build process.
• Juglans hindsii back and sides (Claro walnut)
• Chamaecyparis top and neck (False cypress)
• Cordia dodecandra fretboard with contrasting fret indicators (Ziricote)
• Black polymer bindings with black and white fiber top purfling and rosette
• Bridge material and headplate pending to match fretboard. Likely to be Cordia or Swartzia species, possibly Diospyros celebica. (Ziricote, Moridero, or Macassar ebony)
• Hand-polished varnish finish
• Grover 8N open-geared tuners, chrome and brass with black buttons.
Price including a basic case: $1,620 CAD plus freight (- $486 down payment 9/20/18) = $1,134.00 plus freight.
(Finish date updated 8/1/2019) To be completed no later than December 2 for shipment by December 4th pending completed payment. Fun Ukulele serial #1872
10/1/18 Your Chamaecyparis top:
10/1/18 Here is your Cordia dodecandra fretboard. It will darkens considerably once it is polished and oiled, which I have shown in the second photo by rubbing it with some ethanol.
10/2/18 Chamaecyparis top joined. This wood smells awesome. I think it would pair well with neroli and vetiver, maybe some orange.
10/3/18 Juglans back joined, sides profiled. This is the back, joined and sanded to 100 grit:
10/3/18 The sides, wetted with glycol ethers to show color and figure:
10/6/18 Chamaecyparis neck roughed out. Scarf joint cut, leveled and flattened.
Top thicknessed, rosette routed and installed. Braced and labeled back viewed through roughed-out sound hole;
Neck rough carved, headstock laminations complete. The front of the headstock features layers of maple and Claro walnut and the rear features a few mm of sycamore 'north american lacewood.' I am considering staining the blonde Chamaecyparis neck to a mahogany-esque color. Let me know if you have any thoughts.
10/23/18 Sides joined, linings installed.
10/24/18 Side ring profiled, back glued up.
10/25/18 preparing to 'close the box,' e.g., glue on the top
Reclaimed bamboo fret markers inlayed, fretboard sanded and profiled:
10/27/18 frets installed
1/10/19 Order cancelled by request.
7/30/19 Order rebooted.
10/18/19 "closed the box," completing the basic structural assembly of your ukulele's body.